Re: font size and IE5

by "Abhay S. Kushwaha" <abhay(at)kushwaha.com>

 Date:  Mon, 21 May 2001 18:08:01 +0530
 To:  "Basics [HWG]" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>

Looked over the 2nd URL

Looks to me that you have your IE 5 set to display "Larger" text
instead of "Medium". Check it up (View -> Text Size -> Larger|Medium?)
In the "Medium" setting, I could see no difference between the
renderings of IE 5.5 and NN 4.7.

Anyway, for the sake of testing, I did the "Larger" rendering, and the
text *did* overshoot the image. And you know why? Because we didn't
tell the browser that we didn't want it to bloat if it wanted to. We
limit that using the "width" attribute.

Try using <table border=0 cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 width="620">

Then, I saw a few problems with the code too. I'm pointing some out:
 o  you have <body> starting before you close the <head>. Take a look,
    your code goes something like
     <head>
     </head>
 o  you have stuff like ... bgcolor="#FFFFFF" link="000000" ...
    Don't forget your hashes! put those # in! :)
 o  you have stuff like <border=0> lying around in your code. You
    need to pick those out.
 o  make it a habit to type your tags in lowercase. believe me, it
will
    help in the long run. <body> and not <BODY>. not that it makes a
    difference to the browser (yet)
 o  ditto with quoting your attibute values. border="0" instead of
    border=0

And there were other issues too. Run it thru a validator I say.