Re: Opinions wanted -- related OT question...

by "Peter Newton" <c-newton(at)ihug.co.nz>

 Date:  Sun, 6 Aug 2000 23:56:51 +1200
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hello Jennifer,
I'm not sure if I'm reading the problem right however
If you want to get at the file association list which
causes windows to launch a specific application if
you click on an icon with a specific file extention
(under win98 at least)
try the following:-

1) Click the "My Computer" Icon on the desktop
2) Click the "view" tab along the top.
3) select "Folder Option" under this tag.
4) Then click the "File Types" tab.

This will take you to that list which shows up when
windows doesn't know what to launch for a specific
file extention. Then highlight the application which is
being launched and edit the extentions which trigger it.

Hope this helps,
Someone might know a simpler  way to deal with this also

Peter Newton

> Okay, I did a bad thing. The other evening while
downloading fonts (I
> recently lost a hard drive, and am still painstakingly
recollecting the
> items I lost from it, thousands of fonts included), I for
some reason
> checked off in the dialogue box where it says something
like "always ask for
> this extension type" or whatever it says. Well, that was a
mistake, since
> now when I click on a file download for .zip, IE
automatically downloads it
> off to some temp directory, and then launches winzip to
open the file. This
> is NOT what I want to do. If I'm in the midst of
downloading a couple
> hundred things, I want to put them where I want them
stored, and I'll launch
> them when I damned well feel like it. ;)
>
> My question is...how do I undo that choice? How do I make
IE ask me once
> again. I can't find the location of that in the settings
and whatnot. I want