Re: Nested Tables (was: mouseover on strike/Table question)

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Mon, 4 Dec 2000 10:39:03 -0800
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Cindy:

> What browsers do not support nested tables as in comparison to browsers
that
> do not support tables period?

That is an interesting question. I too, would love to know the answer. And
even more; I would think the next follow up question would logically be:

Would such a "browser" still be relevant??

After all--there must be some limit somewhere to stop requiring web authors
to support Jurassic Junkers. Old timer's will recall, some early TV's had
radio receivers included, (not every town had a TV station), but you would
be hard pressed to find that feature today.

I'm not suggesting that we go as far as Netscape did with their version 6
and not only drop support for some "standards" but even ignore a significant
portion of the current "state of the art". Still, there comes a time when
each author must choose between the remaining few viewers with old feature
challenged browsers--and--their responsibility to their modern clients and
viewers who expect, demand and deserve more "modern" features.

And current browsers do a great job with some of the older so called
technology. If for example, you try to open a text file in Internet
Explorer, it doesn't throw a fit. It simply launches NotePad and displays
the file.

IE also works with Dragon's Naturally Speaking and other speech reading and
reciting programs quite well--or perhaps, they work well with it.

First we wailed that no one would spend forty dollars to upgrade a browser.
Now those browsers are free and still, some would have you believe that 90%
of the world is sneaking a peek at the web in some corporate office using
browsers, three generations old. And can not upgrade due to Corporate
Policy.

Baloney!! Very few corporations are that dense. And for the actual few that
are still living in the dark ages, it is well past time that someone told
those "administrators" that their competition upgraded several months ago.

Sorry about all this ranting ...
My dog's big black pet cat, just ripped the drapes of the front office
window and I'm a little testy ...

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA