Re: Need to convert PageMaker files

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Thu, 15 Feb 2001 13:21:51 -0800
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Teresa:

We all have hair pulling fits over this type of problem. Here in no
particular order are some random thoughts:

First off--assuming you are using Word 2000 on Windows machine--in your Open
dialog screen, the Files of Type drop down list should include one called
"Recover Text from Any File". This selection works surprisingly well.

Unless their PageMaker is older than the hills, it should be able to export
the text in a .doc file for Word. It would be very simple for them to do
this and send you THAT file.

I always tell the old geezers in my club that still use old DOS or MAC stuff
to simply Copy and Paste or, "Publish or whatever in the Mac", and Paste it
directly into the e-mail. If they use HTML e-mail, it will even come with
all the formatting intact.

BTW--I don't mean to insult MAC users. It's just been so long since I used a
MAC I've forgotten the terminology.

Also--if you have Canvas--it will open a PageMaker file. (Note: you may have
to do a custom installation of the filter for this as I'm not sure it's
included in the "normal" installation.

Course, you could always give them a Copy of MS Publisher which has an "Edit
in Word" feature and will save text as a .doc file as well.

If all else fails--and it often does--use the inexpensive TextBridge OCR
program--it even places an icon in Word's Menu Bar--and copy right from
their newsletter. Assuming they do a passable job printing the document.

Hope one of the above offers a ray of hope ...
Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net