Re: Style?

by "Steven Antonio" <santonio(at)delanet.com>

 Date:  Tue, 25 Apr 2000 13:50:55 -0400
 To:  "hwg-basics" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> <snip>
> </snip>
>
> Is a Content-Style-Type as http equivalent really required for CSS?

If you will recall, I mentioned that it was not required, but recommended.
The basis for that statement is the W3C's HTML 4.01 specification.  Refer
to:

http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/present/styles.html#h-14.2

The specification doesn't discuss this, but I believe the logic is that if
you use inline styles or external style sheets, they can be applied
differently than what you had in mind.  This is because your webserver can
be setup to specify a style language different from what you intended to use
(such as CSS) in the content header it sends.  If you explicitly specify the
Content-Style-Type in a meta tag however, it overrides what the server may
specify in its content header thus rendering the issue irrelevant (no pun
intended).  In other words, by including it, you will never have to wonder
or worry about it.

BTW-  If you AND your webserver don't specify the Content-Style-Type, the
default is CSS.  But that relies on just how compliant your web browser is
now, doesn't it <g>.

Steve Antonio
santonio(at)delanet.com