Re: Opera

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Wed, 9 May 2001 12:01:55 -0700
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Lauren:

In almost ALL web services displaying browser statistics, Opera is part of
the "Other" percentage.

Here is a copy and paste from:
http://websnapshot.mycomputer.com/browsers.html
http://websnapshot.mycomputer.com/systemos.html

Taken at 1132 Hrs, Pacific Daylight Time:

TOP 20 BROWSERS
IE 5.5 28.6%
 IE 5.0 25.7%
 IE 5.01 14.9%
 IE 4.01 6.0%
 Netscape 4.7 2.6%
 IE 5.0 (AOL) 2.4%
 Microsoft MSN Explorer 6.0 2.3%
 IE 5.5 (AOL) 2.0%
 Microsoft MSN Internet Access 1.9%
 Netscape 3.01 1.9%
 Netscape 4.75 1.7%
 Netscape 4.76 1.6%
 Netscape 4.73 1.4%
 Microsoft MSN Explorer 2.5 1.4%
 IE 6.0 beta 1.3%
 Netscape 4.5 1.2%
 Netscape 4.61 0.8%
 Netscape 4.08 0.8%
 Netscape 4.72 0.8%
 Netscape 4.77 0.6%

As you can see, Opera is not among them. Naturally, this will be countered
by several posts explaining why these statistics are all out of whack as
they do not tally with certain per conceived "truths". Well, all they
represent is the web surfers at one particular moment as complied by one
service. Are they really representative of web surfers in general?? I
suspect they are reasonably close.

However--each website, do to its own unique subject and/or location, may
have a "following" quite different from the average shown above. That is why
business people pay big bucks to have their individual sites analyzed.

And once again, the sad point is that--no matter how one might argue over
the statistics--some of the "stuff" we tend to worry and fuss over on this
list, is--to put it kindly--statistically insignificant.

And while I'm at it, we might as well make all the non-Windows people, jump
up and scream:

OPERATING SYSTEM BREAKDOWN
Windows 98 47.9%
 Windows NT 13.2%
 Windows 95 12.7%
 Windows ME 11.2%
 Windows 2000/NT 5 - 9.7%
 Macintosh 4.4%
 Linux 0.3%
 WebTV 0.2%
 SunOS 0.2%
 Windows 3.x 0.1%
 Not specified 0.1%
 IRIX 0.02%
 Windows 9x/NT 0.02%
 HP-UX 0.02%
 FreeBSD 0.01%
 AIX 0.01%
 OS/2 0.01%

If you bookmark that site, you will find that the figures above will change
slightly from day to day. Still--over time--some trends continue. Example:
More and more IE, less Netscape. Fewer and fewer Macs and regardless of all
the hoopla, Linux machines do not seem to be making much headway into the
"home" computer crowd. (Although they do seem to be gaining in some business
areas.)

But as others have said many times, you must decide for yourself, just what
any of the above numbers mean to your web site.

Again best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net