Re: Dsl Connection

by "Gary Bonham" <Gary(at)BonhamDesigns.com>

 Date:  Fri, 23 Jun 2000 16:22:44 -0700
 To:  "Shelley Watson" <shelleyw(at)home.com>,
<hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I'm no expert here, but supposedly the DSL line is a direct unshared
connection to a "central office". Your speed is a function of the distance
from the central office, and the quality of the equipment in between. I was
told that if I wanted to pay for a higher rate line, they could provide it
by upgrading equipment between me and the central office. They have a very
high speed connection, I believe, to the central office, so that isn't a
problem.

LOTS of people throughout our neighborhood went to cable, so there are a lot
of folks sharing the pipe. I had good experience with cable, but the speed
degradation was really noticable at times, when it didn't seem any better
than my old 28k modem. DSL was a good move for me, even given the expense of
the switch.

Gary