Re: Newspaper Column Format - solution and thanks

by "Roger Stenning" <roger(at)isgwds.enterprise-plc.com>

 Date:  Fri, 29 Oct 1999 14:19:13 +0100
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Jim Tom Polk <jtpolk(at)texas.net> wrote -

> > Now, I'm obviously missing something, but having poured over the source
of
> > that URL for an hour or so, I still can't figure out how they got the
> > vertical divider lines.
>
> By stretching a very small gif. Look at the source and look for this:

> size=1>&nbsp;</font></td>
>
> The image is 77 pixels in width and 3 pixels high. As a background, it
> will repeat over and over, and since the grey is all the way to the
> left, and that just about matches the width of the column, you get a
> light gray look to gutter.

Your is one of several replies that I received with this information - many
thanks.

The upshot of this, is that I'll be going with the image method, rather than
the IE - specific coding that was also mentioned to me.

To everyone else who replied to me off-list, my sincere thanks at the
quality and speed of the replies; you all should have received a thanks note
off list, but this is the public thanks: HWG scores again!

Best regards,

Roger Stenning
Intelligent Web Design Services
    http://iws.n3.net/
Contact me for my PGP Public Key.

Main ISG gateway site:
    http://isg.n3.net/
Impossible Scenarios Group main web site:
    http://web.ukonline.co.uk/roger.stenning/index.html
Visit the Millennium's End London Sourcebook!
    http://web.ukonline.co.uk/roger.stenning/melsb/melsb_index.html