Re: ART files

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Tue, 28 Sep 1999 15:19:58 -0700
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Mary:

Actually these days, most high end graphics or page layout
programs like Canvas, Quark Express, PageMaker, etc. will open
all of these files, (with the exception of .art), regardless of
platform. The problem usually is caused by older machines not
reading each other's disks, not the file extensions.

As an example, if a PICT file is sent as an e-mail attachment,
most Windows graphics programs will import it.

We have several "Mac" business associates who work with our so
called Windows formats all the time. And -- As a matter of fact,
late model Mac machines will read PC, (IBM), formatted disks.

However, PC's need a $19 piece of software to open Mac disks. (I
have been told that the late Windows 98 disk now includes such a
utility but regretfully, I do not have one to try)

Of course, technology is changing so fast that by the time you
read this, it may be out of date ??

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net
http://www.temercraft.com
http://www.newsredding.com/
.

>Here is how the file description compares to other formats:
>
>ART                       Johnson-Grace Compressed Data
>GIF                        CompuServe Graphic Interchange Format
>JPG/JPEG              Joint Photography Expert's Group Format
>PICT                      Macintosh PICT Format (Macintosh
platform only)