Re: Need PDF version of HTML 4.01 Specification...tried downloading it....

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Thu, 22 Mar 2001 12:52:57 -0800
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Ed:

Ah hah!! I said to myself, says I.

I'll just open this file and show everybody how smart I am.

So I clicked on your link. Sure enough, Windows gave the choice of saving it
to disk or opening it from there. As you had trouble after you had
downloaded, I though I'd try opening it.

Up popped the Acrobat reader and the preverbal hour glass that always
accompanies PDF downloads or openings. So I waited.

Fifteen minutes later, I was still waiting. At last, Acrobat called on the
assistance of WinZip. It in turn, worked and groaned for a couple of minutes
and then advised the file name was incorrect and required re-naming.

OK--I re-named it, (several different ways and try's, actually), and then
corrected the problems WinZip had with the path.

Then--after all this--WinZip informed me with no little amount of indignity,
that regardless of path, extension or name, the file was corrupted and
WinZip would have no truck with such insults.

To make a long story short, I then tried every zip type application I had on
my hard drive, including some ones that are even supposed to open Mac files.
None of them would consent to recognize this file as workable.

Meaning no disrespect, but this is just one more example of why--regardless
of all the praise they get on this list--I NEVER send anyone to W3C for
assistance, There are just too many other web sites where everything seems
to work. And with far less geek-speak to boot.

Why couldn't W3C have left well enough alone and simply provided a plain
vanilla PDF file like everyone else.

I share your frustration:
Best wishes
Ted Temer