Re: Printing from webpage

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Wed, 18 Apr 2001 11:19:47 -0700
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Beauford:

Unless I'm wrong--and I often am--there is no way, using straight HTML, to
tell a browser not to "print" the headers and footers of a web page.

Therefore, you have to use a file OTHER than HTML. You say that PDF is NOT
an option. Sorry to hear it as PDF would be the ideal way of doing what you
want to do.

In fact, many web sites do just that without telling anyone and late
browsers automatically display the result. The "bank statement" you
mentioned may be using this method, (???) Some you can tell by looking at
the Address line in your browser--some are "called" via ASP of some other
means.

So--you need to check around your intranet to see what is available. For
example, IF most machines have MS Office and are using IE-4+, perhaps a
simple link to a .doc file rather than a different web page.

IE-4 and later, (at least on Windows machines), will morph into Word and
display the .doc file. (Just like it would morph into Acrobat Reader with a
.pdf file.) It will still have all the web functions intact so the viewer
can continue surfing just as in the browser before it "morphed". But--and
this is the important difference--it will now print as a Word file, complete
with all the options available from Word.

Of course, it does not have to be a .pdf or .doc. It can be any file that is
universally accepted by your office's machines. The point being, is that it
MUST be something other than plain old HTML. And I'm just not sure that
JavaScript or VBScript would do this. They are only scripts--not programs in
the real sense. Again, Active Server Pages "might" be worth a look see.

 One could even run a Java program to do it--but--aside from needing to
download the program to make it work, I would share Fuzzy's concerns about
"messing" with other computers. Java is not near as "universal" and benign
as Sun would have us believe. I'm also reasonably sure that a well written
Visual Basic program would do the trick but it would have the same general
drawbacks as Java. Either could be disastrous, if not properly written.

Bottom line--I have to go along with others and recommend that you re-think
PDF. If you don't already have Canvas or some other program that will "save"
as PDF, buying the "full" Acrobat program is not all that expensive.

Failing that, my second choice would be using .doc files as they can be
opened in over a dozen other programs aside from Word itself. And of course,
there are VERY few offices running Windows that don't have "something" on
their machines that will read and save as a .doc. (EX: WordPad, Works,
WordPerfect, etc.)

And either .pdf or .doc can be a simple link just as you would link to
another page. (No fancy script, ASP or worry)

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net