Re: download files

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Thu, 4 Nov 1999 16:04:48 -0800
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Cassandra:

I am using the same basic code as you are--and--to do the same
thing.

When I first put my novels on the web I was using IE-3 and I
would get a message asking if I wanted to open it or save it to
my hard drive. If you told it to open it, IE-3 would morph into
MS Word and open the file.

With IE-4 it just opens the doc file right in the browser.
However, if you then click on FILE > SAVE AS you will get a
dialog box allowing you to save the file as you wish. (Using
whatever conversion filters you have on your machine, ie: Word,
WordPerfect, etc. etc.)

Note: I do have Word installed on my machine.

I suspect that this is more a factor of what programs you have on
your machine as our code seems to be the same. And--As far as I
can see, your code is OK. I did try an old Netscape and it
offered to let me save my novel but was much too proud to consent
to "open" it.

I would have tried yours but you did not give a URL??

If you would like to check this, go to:
http://www.temercraft.com/novels/sal-chp2.htm

You will find the Word download links just below the Chapter
Links on the left side. Just be patient. It's a pretty good sized
file.

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net
http://www.temercraft.com
http://www.newsredding.com/

>Please bear with me.  I'll try to thoroughly explain my issue in
as few
>words as possible.
>
>I want to create a page where users can click on hyperlinks and
download
>non-html documents.  Basically, I want the user to click on a
hyperlink and
>FTP a document from our server.  I've tried the scenarios below:
>
>Example #1:
>Result:  It views the file in my browser instead of prompting me
>download.
>
>Example #2:
download file</a>