Re: FP Include

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Mon, 9 Aug 1999 10:19:25 -0700
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
To: Nick, Lisa and others ...

Come on you guys -- You know I'm an old verbose windbag that
tends to wander off the subject ...

The "Insert HTML" bot is a DIFFERENT bot than the "Include" Bot.

I magnanimously tossed out that irrelevant bit of information,
thinking it would serve as an example of the usefulness of bots.
As often happens, my answers are sometimes more confusing than
insightful.

Loosely speaking, the main difference between a FrontPage
"Include" bot and a Server Side Include, (SSI), is that one
employs a script built into the server and the other uses the
script that comes with FrontPage Extensions.

We use FrontPage to do the basic design work but most of the
local ISP's do NOT have the FP Extensions. Therefore, our
experience with many of the,
"admittedly-neat-but-requiring-Extensions", features is limited
to reading the manuals and tech papers at Microsoft.

And to answer Lisa about banners--We are using a free banner
service on one web so that our client can add new ones himself.

The banners were all created in Canvas 6 to the same pixel size
as suggested by the banner service. (There are several such
services available).

We create our own templates and often employ SSI so we never use
the Themes feature either. Still FrontPage saves hours and hours
compared to fully hand coding a site.

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA