Re: www or not

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Sun, 11 Feb 2001 16:22:31 -0800
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Ted:

I'm not sure I understand your question -- And I'm certainly not sure if I
know what I'm talking about -- ---but Hey??

First off--older browsers--regardless of brand--were a bit picky about the
http and the www business. IE-4/5+ on the other hand, is usually rather
helpful at adding the missing parts. This is true at least, on Windows
machines and is part of Microsoft's Auto Complete feature.

The "Rule of Thumb" for links is more or less, as follows:

Say you have a four page web ...

index.htm
page2.htm
page3.htm
page4.htm

Index.htm is also known from OUTSIDE of your web as:
http://www.myweb.com/

Assuming you are using an Apache server, it is probably set to cough up the
index.htm page when someone calls for the above.

(If you were using an NT server, the "home" page might be set to default.htm
rather than index.htm) But--Both types of servers can be set to allow any
name you wish as the "home" page.

However---WITHIN your web, you usually only need to create a link to the
page itself, such as index.htm, page2.htm, etc. There would be no need to
bother with the www. business.

The above notwithstanding, most browsers will also serve up the index,
(default) page if you do use the full address in your link. i.e.:
www.myweb.com/index.htm even from within the web.

Again, for most "modern" browsers, this should apply whether they are
Netscape, IE or Opera, with IE being by far, the most forgiving.

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net