Re: Web-based Surveys

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Fri, 16 Mar 2001 12:01:28 -0800
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Alica:

There is more to setting up a form and collecting the data than simple HTML.

However--as I often exclaim with silly and appropriate blank looks--Why
re-invent the wheel??

As this appears to be a short lived, one time event, I would suggest you
avail yourself of the services of the good people at:

http://freedback.com/

Here, you create your information gathering form with lots of options. They
give you the code to insert into your web page. The visitor fills out the
form and the info is then sent to the e-mail address of your choice.

Example: I have a simple form running at the bottom of:
http://www.newsredding.com/about.stm

Then--just transfer the data into Access or whatever database you like.
Unless you are going to get "hundreds" of replies, I would think a few
minutes spent copy and pasting from the e-mail replies into Access would
give you a workable database for later analysis.

Of course, if you just HAVE to create your own, I would start looking over
either JavaScript, ASP or CGI scripts that are available. The learning curve
is a bit steep on some of them but some folks--not me of course--seem to
catch on rather quickly.

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net
www.temercraft.com/novels/
www.newsredding.com/
www.ramac-rc.org/

> I am involved in a class project that involves a survey and we would like
> to make it web-based.   Does anyone have suggestions about the best way to
> approach this?  The survey consists of approximately 30 questions--some
> involve checking the appropriate box, others have a Likert scale.
Everyone