Re: Very basic

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Fri, 1 Oct 1999 12:45:59 -0700
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Anita:

One of the absolute WORST things that has ever come out of e-mail
and the news groups has been the tendency of all of us, I'm sorry
to say, to abbreviate to the point of incomprehensibility.

IE means Internet Explorer, the "current" leading web browser,
offered by Microsoft.

NN means Netscape Navigator

Netscape is the brand name of one of the pioneers in the field of
web browsers.

It must come as a shock for those few still advocating Netscape
over Internet Explorer that there are more and more people
surfing the web who have actually never even heard of Netscape.

Like most people, we web authors/designers/tinkers etc. tend to
think everybody else thinks as we do. That's only human nature.
That's why we tend to reduce so many perfectly good words down to
a few meaningless initials.

All of the above gibberish is about web browsers. The programs
that display the HTML in a visual sense. And -- There are also
browsers called Opera, WebTV, some offshoots used by AOL,
(America On Line), a half dozen or so that I have forgotten
about, and a type of browser called Mozella, (I probably did not
spell that last one correctly)

You will also hear about Bobby which is simply a set of standards
to enable Sight Impaired people to read your page and a good
dozen others as well.

I have no doubt, been more confusing than helpful-- but goodness
knows, we try??

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net
http://www.temercraft.com
http://www.newsredding.com/

>There is no doubt about it - I am totally lost.
>But - please someone - explain to me slowly what is IE, NN and
Netscape?