Re: MS Font enbedder for HTML--anyone?

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Tue, 23 May 2000 09:19:41 -0700
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Jim:

>(oxymoron: free from
> Micro$oft)

I'm kind of surprised by your comments about Microsoft. I realize that there
seems to be a few on this list that just love to snide all over poor Bill
and his boys but I assure you, there is no other software company and I mean
NO OTHER company that gives away as much free stuff as Microsoft.

They have literally "thousands" of pages with free downloads of applets,
actual programs, upgrades and goodies and toys to play with. This is
addition to the dozen or so free trial versions of their regular products.
It would take weeks just to check them all out.

In answer to your question about embedding fonts, there most certainly is
such a program. I am personally unsure if the fuss and bother of such a
concept is worth it, just to allow the choice of a font. However there are
"hundreds" of pages on this general topic at:
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/web/embedding/weft/default.htm

I find myself rather ambivalent over WEFT myself. But--Check out their site
and read all the articles. You will have to decide. The bottom line is that
it works--but it is far from simple even though MS provides a semi-WYSIWYG
applet to use. And yes--as far as I recall--it's all free for the using.

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net