Re: putting Publisher files on a page

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Sat, 14 Aug 1999 14:51:53 -0700
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Helen:

Boy--do you need Dreamweaver or FrontPage, it would be child's
play, simple and quick.

But for a text editor, here is my suggestion. Click on the
graphics, one by one and go to File in Publisher and choose Save
As. then choose either GIF or JPG (depending on whether drawing
or photo), in the file type and save the graphic directly to your
image directory in your web. Then hand code the link to it, just
like any other image.

You can use the clipboard to copy and paste the text part
directly into the code. Just select the text in Publisher and use
Control-C. Be sure and construct your tables and such beforehand.
It's kind of messy but I guess that is the way you have to do it
when you hand code.

But there is no need to involve PhotoShop unless your version of
Publisher is so old it does not have GIF and JPEG filters. In
that case, yes--you would need to paste the images into anything
that can save them in the proper format.

Note: you might ask your client to convert the images to .jpg or
.gif before they are embedded into Publisher and sent to you.
Then all you need to do is drag them from Publisher--into the
correct directory in Windows Explorer.

Perhaps the simplest way would be to use the free lite version of
FrontPage that comes with IE-4 and just drag and drop the
elements on the page in some sort of correct order. Then modify
the links so that the "path" to your images are correct. ( I
think the "lite" version converts graphics automatically) So--Now
save the file and fill in all the rest of the hand coding you
would normally be doing in whatever editor you like.

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net
http://www.temercraft.com

>Hello everyone
>
>I am making some pages for someone who is sending me publicity
leaflets
>about upcoming events that he wants me to put up on his web
site. The files
>are in .pub format and contain text and clipart.
>
>How do I get the contents into a web page without having to
spread out the
>objects in Publisher (I have version 2 so cannot translate
directly to
>HTML), copy and paste each one into Photoshop and then fiddle
about with the
>layout?  (If I copy it all en masse it appears overlapping in
Photoshop.) It
>is all ridiculously time-consuming and sucks up all my
computer's memory and
>I have to keep closing and opening the programs.  I have asked
him to send
>me the text as .txt and the graphics as .gif or .jpg but he is
unable to do
>this.
>
>I am using a text editor to make the pages.
>
>Is there an easy way to do all this?  You can probably tell that
I am pretty