Re: SSI

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Thu, 7 Oct 1999 15:42:46 -0700
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Ben:

Ah terminology:

I always thought that a SSI command WAS executed -- as in
"execute the inclusion of a certain file at this spot".

I also know that SSI is broader than just inserting files within
a page but I too, am curious what the difference between
"standard" and "executable" is. The use of the terms seems to
escape me and it's not even a Monday (Duh??)

I am using <!--#include virtual="filename.txt" tag="body"--> and
it seems to work just fine on both Apache and NT servers.
(Assuming they have SSI enabled of course)

However, the default extension for HTML pages containing an
include command on UNIX is .shtml and for NT it is .stm.

Both of these can be changed of course if the ISP is willing. In
fact, we are in the process of messing with this very thing on an
NT server with the help of the FrontPage Discussion list and
Microsoft's Knowledge Base.

Hopefully, someone can enlighten us both ???

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net