Re: WebTV

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Thu, 21 Oct 1999 10:30:06 -0700
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Andrew:

Ouch -- You have wounded me deeply Sir!

Your remarks regarding the rapid loading and viewing abilities of
my site by using WebTV have seriously damaged my hard earned
reputation as a pompous old windbag.

To be publicly caught out in one of my many bald faced lies ...
I am speechless.

Well -- Maybe never quite speechless.

They say confession is good for the soul - - so here goes ...

I confess I DO have a WebTV viewer on my hard drive and actually
use it from time to time. I also pay attention to the limits
imposed by Bobby and even limit the use of Java whenever I can.
Even the light colored page backgrounds I use is there in case
someone's old antique browser does not show the background colors
of individual cells. (Need to be able to read the text over the
body background.)

We also keep a list of web goodies that FrontPage is capable of
but Netscape is not--and we try never to use them. (Actually--we
are far more afraid of the limitations of Netscape than we are of
WebTV)

But all this is tempered by the old adage "The customer is always
right". If they want a feature not supported by Netscape, we
inform them of this. But if they still want it, (and many often
do), they get it.

So -- Though you have seriously diminished the impact, I still
say:

"You just can NOT please everybody so we don't even try!!"
(Chuckle--well, at least not all of the time)

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net
http://www.temercraft.com
http://www.newsredding.com/

>I have been a member of HWG for about one year and am extremely
pleased
>with the support and training I have received from this help
group. I
>wish to share with those who may not recognise the market of
webtv
>owners.
>
>  Yes I admit the number of owners are few when compared to PC
owners BUT
>it is a growing market and I find developing for this audience
is
>extremely challenging due to the restrictive nature of the webtv
>browser.
>
>  Ted...you mentioned in your last post that you were unsure if
your site
>could be viewed if at all by webtv....GREAT news oh exalted one,
it
>loaded completely under 8 seconds, demonstrating your fantastic
>expertise in html, and this for an investment of $199.98 . I
think of
>this medium as the VW of the internet, basic....simply basic
technology
>developed for those who cannot yet afford the RollsRoyce but
enjoy the
>values of Internet access. No wonder PC owners seem to dislike
webtv
>users.
>
>I have learnt thru this group to remember the visually impaired
when
>creating a site...well that is what webtv is....visually
impaired, they