Re: Question

by "Wendy Peck" <wpeck(at)wpeck.com>

 Date:  Wed, 16 Feb 2000 10:22:20 -0600
 To:  "Paul Wilson" <webgooru(at)gte.net>,
<rsimmons8(at)earthlink.net>,
"html" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Paul,

Mac will display fonts with pieces missing below 10pt. Not just fuzzy, but
actually with pieces of the font missing. I learned that the hard way as one
who prefers smaller type. When I specify type, I use % so that people who
have their defaults set will still have some control. Mac loses this (starts
losing pieces) at 85% though on body font and that is the maximum for me for
the way the sans serif fonts look on a PC.

I now use more serif fonts, since they tend to provide better line spacing
at default settings, which I like to use as much as I can. I prefer Verdana,
but when I am designing for a general crowd, I use the serif. After much
testing I have found that this provides the best solution across all
platforms with CSS.

On the headlines: I use Arial/Helvetica for my headline settings for just
the reason you described. It seems to take the size increase with less
damage. Even without the anitaliasing, I find that Verdana is a bit too
"round" to look nice at large sizes.

I too have spent a great deal of time researching this, hoping to stumble on
the "perfect" answer. To date, it is still elusive.

Wendy

Wendy Peck: Marketing Solutions Through Technology
Integrated, custom marketing strategy packages and Web design
http://wpeck.com

Production Graphics: New! 02/14 Graphics Greats Photo Edges
by Wendy Peck at Webreference.com http://productiongraphics.com