Re: text fot acccessibility

by "Bert" <bert(at)betterwebdesign.com.au>

 Date:  Tue, 4 Jun 2002 09:16:58 +0800
 To:  <thewolves(at)bigfoot.com>
 Cc:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Very interesting, Larry

So what it all boils down to is that Netscape 4 is still useful as a
JavaScript debugging tool?

As for plug-ins, I hate them. Most of the time when I come across a site
that won't work without a multiple megabyte download of some plug-in, I
leave. So to me it doesn't matter how or where the plug-ins are stored.

I'm curious about the view-page info.   Yes, I have seen it.  Just can't
figure out what's so useful about the information it shows.  You mentioned
seeing the URLS of frames.  I can see the same if I view source in MSIE or
Netscape 6.  Or if I launch the MS Script Debugger and look at "running
documents".

Out of curiosity I visited my own (framed) site with Netscape 4.
Information such as last modified, content length, location, security is
nothing new.  I can see the same by looking at properties in MSIE.  The rest
(local cache file, mime type etc) is useless info (to me).

> When downloading an HTML page, Netscape shows the sizes of the things
> that are being downloaded. I loved this feature - if I saw a 60K item,

Yeah, that's kinda handy.  I grant you that.  MSIE (6 at least) also shows
how many items are remaining to be loaded.  Netscape 6 doesn't but what I do
like about that one is that it tells me how long it took, after the fact.
No need for a stopwatch

> The first capability is enough to ensure that I'll keep N4 around for
> use when debugging JavaScript code even though it's not my main browser.

Yep.  Can be handy for that, but I don't use debugging tools for surfing the
web.  Especially when they cannot handle valid XHTML and CSS.

Regards
--
Bert Doorn, Web Developer
CIW Associate, IWA Member