Re: Host/domain name for client?

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Wed, 22 Sep 1999 17:56:54 -0700
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Karen:

Between my major client and myself, we have obtained nearly a
dozen domain names and in general, this is how we do it.
(Admittedly, we're a little lazy)

First, visit a site like Network Solutions Whois to make sure the
name you wish is free and clear.
http://www.networksolutions.com/cgi-bin/whois/whois

When you have a clear name in mind, the easy way is to approach
the ISP that you are going to have Host your site.

Give them the domain name you wish and the name and address of
who will the administrative contact and owner information. Often,
the ISP will have a form to fill out that will insure all the
information needed is supplied.

One point--Your host should NOT be the Administrative Contact.
They would be the Technical Contact. It's usually best if the
client/site owner is the Administrative Contact as they will be
the one billed by InterNIC.

Then the host ISP will submit the Domain Name request for you and
place a test page on their server as soon as the name is
reserved, and give you the password, etc. to access the site.

In the past, InterNIC would then bill the Administrative Contact
but I understand they are changing their billing procedure. You
may have to pay the Domain Name fee up front.

Your host may well provide this service for free or charge a very
small fee. (Is the word "free" a violation of HWG rules??) If you
are one of the few people that does not know how much InterNIC
charges per year, please e-mail us privately. We're not allowed
to say ???

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA