Re: navigation bar question

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Sun, 14 Nov 1999 10:15:25 -0800
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Julie:

Two or three things come to mind to keep your links visible.

1. Repeat the links. Granted--kind of tacky.

2. Shorten the page. General thought is that any content large
enough to fill more than two screens should be spread over
several pages.

3. Go to the use of "Frames". Although many of us are not "big"
on frames, this IS one of the main reasons frames are used. The
"frame" on the left simply sits there as the main frame scrolls.

Many find frames confusing but these days, it is simple to use
the wizards in programs like DreamWeaver or FrontPage to set them
up.

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net
http://www.temercraft.com
http://www.newsredding.com/

>Hello,
>
>I have a question - here's the situation:
>a long, single web page (one of many) in the right frame and a
>navigation bar in the left frame.  The navigation bar is off
screen
>once the viewer has scrolled down a bit...I am requested to fix
this.
>Meaning, can the navigation float and remain in view as the
reader
>goes down the page?  I have seen floating navigation boxes and
>watermarks which remain in the same position as one moves down
through
>the page.  I don't want to use dhtml for this.  Java or
javascript is
>acceptable.  I hope there Is something besides a simple "back to
top"
>link every so often and navigation links at the very bottom.
The page