RE: .eps format

by "Kali Woodbridge" <kaliajer(at)mail.com>

 Date:  Sat, 1 Apr 2000 08:32:34 -0500
 To:  "'Jennifer C. Swartz'" <eandscon(at)javanet.com>,
<JoshAlliTJ(at)cs.com>,
<hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Mornin' All --

<snip>
I wonder if anyone can tell me the default application
needed to open a .eps
document (a picture).
</snip>

An .eps (encapsulated postscript file can be opened by most
vector-based (CorelDraw, Freehand, Illustrator, etc.)
drawing programs. It is a file type, not a document per se.
Once opened, they are not always editable; it depends on the
contents of the file. The contents of an .eps file can
contain more than just "drawing" items such as lines, arcs,
fills, etc. They may also hold bitmap images. They can be
converted to .jpg and .gif file types using the "save as"
command if you are using any of the programs I mentioned.

You can also open an .eps file in PhotoShop which will
rasterize the image so you can save it as a .jpg or .gif
file.

You can "place" or "import" an .eps file into lots of page
layout (PageMaker, Quark, Publisher) and word processing
(Word, WordPerfect) programs. You cannot use them in web
pages... but you already knew that <g>.

Good Luck!
kali
kaliajer(at)mail.com