Re: Accessibility validation

by "Hilma" <Hilma(at)hilma.freeserve.co.uk>

 Date:  Sat, 25 May 2002 19:08:18 +0100
 To:  "Ineke van der Maat" <inekemaa(at)xs4all.nl>,
<hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> I think you should offer all your visitors the same information..
remembering
> mails on the W3C-WAI-list that also discussed this item... and how
disabled
> people reacted on it.
But i *do* offer them the same information - just not the same short-cuts
and navigation.
But all the *information* is there for all.
If someone has an older browser or no JS enablility, i'll give all the
content, but cannot give the clever navigation stuff.

> In Germany is now  (since the first of May) also an accessibilitylaw for
> governmentsites. Required is conformance level AA of the WAI-guidelines.
> Also the European Parlement will decide in future about accessible sites..
but
> after that it will take time for it is implemented by all membercountries.

That's interesting - i had a bit of an argument with a German girl (on
another conf, belonging to an English University, so i had assumed she was
English)  when i said that "we" would have laws for accessibility in 2004 (I
think).
She got quite shitty saying that as *she* was not English, so no *she*
wouldn;t!
So it seems that she got it before "us" <--the English (and i had assumed
that  the EC would join in anyway).

But i wonder which sites will be affected - government sites of course, but
commercial?
Hobby-sites?
An interesting discussion (but not for here) -
and i do intend to code for accessibility anyway, even if not legally
required to do so).

>  The Lynxviewer  can be downloaded on
> http://www.trill-home.com/lynx/general.html

great, thanks :-)