Re: Rollover Problems

by "JAH" <artsylady(at)home.com>

 Date:  Sun, 9 Jan 2000 20:15:47 -0800
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
From: "Donna M Smillie" <dms(at)zetnet.co.uk>

> Hi Judy
>
> At first I thought that Brian (Comharsa) had nailed the problem, but when
> did a quick double check I couldn't find the "rose1" or "rose2" images at
> all, with or without initial capitals.  Are you sure the images have been
> uploaded to the server?

Stamping down on my embarrassment, I have to admit, no, they had not been
uploaded at all.  Not only hadn't they been uploaded, I didn't even know
they were supposed to 'be' uploaded.  But, now, thanks to you and D.
Kennedy, and the other kind individuals on this list who took the time, and
went to the trouble of answering my post, I am miles and miles further along
in my understanding of Dreamweaver, site construction, HTML editing, and the
like.  You guys are real life savers.

Thanks for the heads up on the 'lowercase' file names.  It's going to take a
bit of time to complete, but I do intend to go through all my jpg files and
change them over to lowercase names.  It will take a conscious effort on my
part to get away from capitalizing everything but that's exactly what I
intend to do.

> As for the two validation errors (neither of which are causing the problem
> with your rollover images as far as I know) --

> HTML 4.0 requires that a script declaration includes the TYPE of script,
so
> for javascript you need to add TYPE="TEXT/JAVASCRIPT" (in the same way
> that, for example, a style declaration requires TYPE="TEXT/CSS").

Yes, that was definitely one of the problems.  Thank you for such clear cut
instructions.

> The NAME attribute in an IMG tag simply isn't valid in HTML 4.0 - you
would
> need to use the image array to reference the images, rather than using
> NAMEs, to be valid in HTML 4.0.  However on 24 December 1999 a revision
was
> brought in, HTML 4.01 (see http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/ ), which
> supercedes HTML 4.0.  And one of the changes in this latest HTML spec is
> that the NAME attribute is now valid for the IMG tag.  So if you change
> your DTD to specify HTML 4.01 rather HTML 4.0 --

Yes! :)  The "4.01" insertion did the trick!  After D. Kennedy so kindly
helped me to understand the path situation with uploaded files, the page
validated perfectly using 4.01.  Thank you so very much, Donna.  Your
instructions are so clear and explicit they are a breeze to follow.

Again, to all those who wrote, both off and online, I sincerely thank you
for lending a hand.

If you're curious about the final outcome....well, the page isn't finished
but the rollover is!....I invite you to visit
<http://members.home.net/artsylady/hompage/rollover.htm>.

Thanks and have a great night! :)
Judi