Re: Question: Netscape Navigator...

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Tue, 28 Dec 1999 10:13:48 -0800
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Don:

Sorry -- Can't resist.

> .... and it
>crashes under NN when it gets to a page that has images with
text wrapping
>around, either right or left.  Any help/suggestions would be
appreciated.

In Windows, click on START > SETTINGS > ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS.
Scroll down to, and highlight Netscape Navigator and click on
"Remove".

Large clearing of throat ... which is hard to do with tongue in
cheek.

A less drastic workaround is to set the Compatibility in
FrontPage 2000 for "both" IE and Netscape. Even with this
setting, you have to be careful what you manually insert using an
"Insert HTML" bot as they will effectively override the
compatibility settings.

Seriously, Netscape simply does not support all the CSS "tags"
that IE -4/5 does. Nor for that matter, does a tiny percentage of
other/older browsers. You can use "simple" font/text commands but
beyond that, one gets into trouble fast. CSS is a great
tool--but-- being able to use it to it's fullest, is still a few
years away unless you are writing for an intranet. (Any CSS must
be tested to make sure the page is still "readable" with the CSS
file removed.)

Sorry I can not be of more help but you already have the answer.
It wont work in Netscape. I wish it did. We would all love to use
many of the new features.

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net
http://www.temercraft.com
http://www.newsredding.com/

>Don't know if I would be better off asking this of the advanced
group, but
>does anyone know why Netscape Navigator/Communicator (4.08)
doesn't recognize
>any of the text-wrap attributes as they are set up in CSS?
Specifically, I
>can't seem to get "float:..." to work with NN.  Works fine under
Internet
>Explorer, but I am trying  to make my website more
"browser-friendly", and it