Re: SSI question -- long response.

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Wed, 18 Jul 2001 15:41:21 -0700
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Cristina:

Unless I missed something, it seems to me that you have your "file type
extensions" backwards. The page that is going to be "calling" an include
file to become a part of it--is the one that must be called
"something.shtml" (If on a Unix Apache server) or "something.stm" (if on a
NT server)

The include file can be almost anything. ie: "include.txt", "include.inc",
"include.htm", etc. etc.

Therefore, your page:
www.arabnity.com/mastro/chap1.html
probably should be:
www.arabnity.com/mastro/chap1.shtml

However, if I understood you correctly, I am surprised to see it work on
your hard drive. Dreamweaver must be using something special to make it
work. Usually, it's the other way around--in that you have to upload the
page to the web server before the include file will load.

If your page is NOT loading the include file into it, then I assume that
your host has not set his servers to parse pages for include commands unless
they have either the .shtml or .stm extension. Therefore, they will not work
with a page name with a .html extension. (Actually, the server can be set to
work with anything buy many host doggedly stick with the .shtml/.stm
business cause they think they are saving server load. Or maybe, it's cause
that's how the factory default is set and they won't provide the service to
change it??)

If I missed the point, try me again with smaller words. As they say, the
mind is the first thing to go ...

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA