Re: ICON When Page is Bookmarked

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Sat, 23 Dec 2000 10:17:07 -0800
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Brent:

These little goodies are called Favicons. The website is located, where
else??  At http://www.favicon.com/

Two or three problems with these however.

1. They don't stay. The information that makes it work is in the browser
cache and when it empties, poof !! Granted--there is a way around this but
it's a little too involved to expect many surfers to bother.

2. It only works with IE-5 and later standard Microsoft browsers. Most of
the "Proprietary" IE's seem to be missing this feature. Also of course,
Netscape ignores the whole thing.

3. The webmaster has to create an icon to provide the image to replace the
IE icon and many do not have the proper graphics programs to be able to save
as .ico. Again granted--there is a little program on the Favicon site that
can be downloaded but it doesn't work all that great. (Fortunately I had
Canvas so no problem saving .ico's)

Read over the information at the site. It's a great idea but like High
Definition TV--maybe a little ahead of the "market's" ability to utilize it.

What would really be nice is to be able to supply this icon as part of the
website and have it work automatically. But heck--a guy my age is still
waiting for the "Thirty dollars every Thursday ..." and "A chicken in every
pot ...".

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA