Re: Different sets of Descriptions and Keywords

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Thu, 1 Feb 2001 10:24:29 -0800
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Maryanne:

I may be wrong--and Fuzzy, feel free to jump in here--but I don't think what
you are asking will work. My understanding (?) of HTML is that only one set
of descriptions and key words is "allowed" per page. Therefore, I tend to
agree with Paul. That you need multiple documents. (pages)

Irrespective of Spam-ing, I think you would have better success with the
search engine spider by:

1. Using text links that contain the key words. This is one of the few
places that keywords not associated with the page content, are "legal".
This could be augmented with key words in the body text or Alt text
associated with the images on the page.

2. Using additional descriptions and key words on the other pages in the web
site.

However:
We have all seen search engines return a half dozen or so, similar
pages--all with the same basic URL. Not only does it clog up the search
engine, but it is often confusing--and always a source of annoyance. So the
point is that even here--one should be very careful and try not to duplicate
key words over and over. It often does FAR more harm than good. The key
words should reflect the actual information contained on the page.

Both of your companies should be aware that descriptions and key words are
NOT forms of advertising. They are there to help your company's clients FIND
the information they are seeking. Therefore, the operative word should
always be "clarity".

You advertise the site in the old fashioned ways: Radio, TV, Newsprint,
Brochures, Letterheads, Business Cards, etc. Even now the number of
businesses who fail to list or mention their web site in their normal
advertising, is staggering!!

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA