Re: Web Site Size/Download testing

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Mon, 19 Mar 2001 10:17:32 -0800
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Maryanne:

I too, was going to suggest Bobby, but I see Tamara beat
me to it.

One quick way of determining the so called average download time for an
image is to divide the file size in kilobytes, by three.

This assumes that the calling browser is able to download
at 3 KPS. And while its true that on a "good" day, many will
be able to do a lot better than this, still--many, many will NEVER be able
to see such blinding speed.

The problem is that all download speeds are not equal. One therefore, must
adapt some "standard" to average this out. The service you used and Bobby
both do this exact thing. (Though I'm not sure of their math. It might be a
little faster or slower than mine.)

However--I would think that somewhere between three and four seconds is a
good average for a 10K file. My simple formula would show 3.3 seconds.

The point here is--regardless of method used--they will all show that a file
size of 100k is going to take over half a minute to download with the
average modem. Far too long!!

If you are working with Windows 95/98 and have IE-4+ installed, just
Right-Click on any file or picture/image and choose Properties. You will get
a dialog screen that shows--among others--the file size in kilobytes. Then
divide by three.

Of course, if you have FrontPage, Dreamweaver, Drumbeat, etc. this
information is always close at hand. FrontPage for example, allows you to
set the modem speed. But again, these figures are only relative to each
other.

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA