Re: tables/css/screen readers

by "Bert Doorn" <bert(at)betterwebdesign.com.au>

 Date:  Fri, 19 Oct 2001 07:44:40 +0800
 To:  <jtpolk(at)texas.net>
 Cc:  "HWG Basics" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
G'day

> > OK, you could always write plain text pages.  No images.  No tables.  No
> > Frames.  No Flash.  No Nothing.  Just text.  Don't bother with colors
> It is not an either or situation. Pages written in HTML 4.01 with CSS1
> will be ''seeable'' with older browsers, like NS 2.0. It may, and
> probably will layout like total crud, but access is still assured.

No argument there.  Particularly that last sentence.  All I was saying is
that, if you want something that ~works~ in all browsers, plain text is the
only safe bet.   But one has to draw the line somewhere.   I do write sites
that use frames, DHTML and/or Flash.  But I (try to) do it properly by
providing alternatives to these, recognising that not everyone will be able
to see Flash, images, frames etc.

My Tutorial site is written in (mostly) XHTML 1.0 Strict.  Yes, it still
uses tables for layout.  Looks at its best in IE4+, NN6, Opera4 and 5.  It
displays in NN4 (albeit with some glitches) and is usable without CSS,
JavaScript, flash etc.   It's ~usable~ in NN3 and IE3

I too went to visit a builder's website earlier this week.   They lost me as
a customer.  I run a 56K modem - it's all I can get here.  Went to this site
to find out about their house plans.   I got a flash screen, with nothing
else.  No option to skip it.

The flash said something like "this will take about 2 minutes to load - well
worth your time":   Well, I decided it wasn't worth my time so they won't be
building my new house.  If they're so inflexible with their website, maybe
their houses are like that too.

Regards
--
Bert Doorn, Web Developer