Re: H e l p - Frontpage 2000

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Tue, 13 Jun 2000 10:02:22 -0700
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Peter:

> Could somebody please explain to me how to put "Alt" text onto an image
link
> in FrontPage 2000.

Being of modest means, I only have FP-98 but I'm sure the process is very
much the same in FP2K.

First, "Insert" the image using the top menus. Be sure the image was
physically located in the "images" sub directory. (If you used "browse" to
find it.) If it was not in the correct directory--delete it and move the
image into the images sub directory and then re-insert it. (You can drag it
in the FP "Web View" or use Windows Explorer to physically move it.)

NOTE: If this is a remote image, (not located on your site), type in the
source location in the Image Properties screen that pops up. For more, see
the bottom section of this verbose dissertation.

(If you are working manually, just make sure the image is in the same place
that all the other images in your web, are located. FP is going to write the
code (path) to that image at the place you "browsed" to. It would have no
idea where you might intend to locate the image later, so it must be in the
correct sub directory at the time of the insertion or the path will be
screwed up. I mention all this as you said the image failed to load.)

[And--Yes--one can do some "creative" things in FrontPage's Web View as well
but I am trying to keep it simple here.]
---------

So--Now that we have the image inserted on the page --

Select the image in Normal View. Then "Right-Click" on the image with the
Mouse or Art Tablet.

In the pop-up menu, choose "Image Properties"
(Or use Alt + Enter)

A dialog screen should appear labeled "Image Properties"

There will be some tabs at the top. Select the "General" tab.

Note: There may be slight terminology differences between FP-98 and FP2K.

Near the center, (vertically), will be a section labeled "Alternative
Representations" One will be for text and one for the path to a low
resolution alternate image. (optional, if used. And you might try listing
the path to the HWG logo here if you have not downloaded it to your own
site.)

Simply type your desired Alt. Text in the "Text" area. You can leave or
delete the file name and size in bytes that is displayed there. Note: If you
do not change it, the file name and size WILL become your Alt. Text.

And really--that's all there is to it. FrontPage will do all the rest.

Granted, I have rambled a bit here but often it is hard to understand a
question in exactly the same connotation as the person asking it, had in
mind. So I am trying to cover several possibilities.

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net