Re: Tables in NN

by "Elizabeth" <mamaduckie(at)home.com>

 Date:  Mon, 7 Feb 2000 02:14:54 -0700
 To:  "susan banta" <sebanta(at)hotmail.com>,
<artdieli(at)earthlink.net>,
<hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Susan,

I beg to differ.  The only width that I had specified for the table was
100%.  I never design with fixed widths, only with percentages.  To my
thinking, if the problem had been the width of my graphic as you had
suggested, then the width of the page should have pushed the browser to add
a horizontal scroll bar.

I had the first table set to 100%.  I had three columns in that main table,
the first set at 20% and the second, set to colspan 2, should have defaulted
to 80%.  In the second row, 2nd cell, I was trying to set that width to 60%
and the 3rd to 20%.  It was these widths that Netscape would not accept.

When I tried to play with the numbers, I realized that it was the graphic
that was making that first column appear to have the correct width (20%).
When I set that column with a width of 10%, no change was affected in
Netscape though the widths were respected in IE.

I did solve the problem by inserting a nested table in that second row,
third column rather than just entering data in the cell.

Warmly, ~Elizabeth
www.WaldorfResources.com
mamaduckie(at)home.com