Re: Automated BG Color change?

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Fri, 8 Dec 2000 11:32:37 -0800
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Tamara -- and others ...

You should be aware that the subject of color is far more involved than
whether a Mac or PC is used. In the first place this lighter or darker
business refers to common defaults found on some brands of monitors,
regardless of platform.

The print world has struggled with this for years. There are several "color
matching" systems around now but even it is not all that reliable. Even the
Kelvin Temp. of the light source near the monitor screen will affect the
observed "color". And of course, you don't have a chance at anything near
correct color unless you have a "super" video card and are running the full
16 million colors.

And Printing on a piece of paper ??? Just what IS white anyway?? Believe me,
the subtle differences in the "whiteness" of the medium the job is printed
on will make a real difference in the color the eye sees from the light
reflected off that piece of paper. And once past that, you are at the mercy
of the printer. You should see the difference between an Ink Jet and a Color
Laser. Then if it is printed by a commercial printer, how close do they mix
the inks and to what standard?? And will the job be printed on the same
whiteness of paper??

I--and many like me--have spent many long hours trying to explain to clients
that the final job as ran by a silk screener for example, may look very
different from an ink jet "proof". And that if they are very particular,
they must pay for a silkscreen proof.

Just as the web page is at the mercy of the surfer's browser settings, so
too is our color at the mercy of six and a half jillion different monitors.
If your pics are always too light or dark for the "other" platform, there is
always the brightness adjustment on your monitor.

Or--as they say-- "Don't sweat the small stuff."

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net