Re: A Perfect Web Site!

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Mon, 12 Feb 2001 16:00:00 -0800
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Gregor:

I think you miss my point. You state that:
> People should be free to chose the way they want to access
> information on the web.

Sure--I'll buy that--but if you access TV with a B&W set, don't cry because
you can't see the color.

And:
> DHTML is cool. So what? IMHO accessibility is far more
> important than coolness. Is coolness the only thing you
> have to offer?

There's more to it than "coolness"--but ... Yeah--pretty much.

Accessibility is all very well and good in an academic ideal. In fact, I do
try to make a token pass toward Bobby requirements. But even here, I draw
the line at getting rid of my tables!!

However--I was addressing those who were still fussing over the eternal
question of which W3C DTD to use for what Validator. There was also the same
old opinions as to which "ideal" standard a poor web author should use so
that "everybody" could see their work.

I simply pointed out that in the very real, practical sense, one--and only
one such "standard" exists today--right now--in the real day to day world.
And that is the artificial one that has been imposed upon us by IE-5+
browsers.

Love it or loath it--the de-facto "standard" does exist. And no matter how
long and loud we champion all of our various W3C's or other gods worshiped
by the various factions, the commercial world is going about their business
designing web sites for real people, with real susceptibilities to glitz and
glamour, and not for web academics.

I have never demanded that EVERYONE should follow my suggestion. I am simply
pointing out that the solution already exists for those willing to use it.
It is my personal feeling that continuing to weep for the might-have-been's
or the should-bee's is just academic self indulgence.

It's sort of like the people in the United States arguing over A.M. and P.M.
and whether it is proper to say Twelve o'clock-pee-emm or Twelve Noon.
Regardless of the winner of that sillyness, the majority of the world still
uses the twenty four hour clock.

Again best wishes
Ted Temer