Re: a question of appropriate response

by "Bert Doorn" <bert(at)betterwebdesign.com.au>

 Date:  Sun, 2 Sep 2001 09:18:45 +0800
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
G'day

Depends on the circumstances and on how you word your comments/opinions.  My
approach is to answer the technical question AND where I feel it necessary,
offer alternatives.  Don't tell them they are wrong in using (frames,
tables, midi files, java applets, JavaScript, whatever) but ask if they have
thought about doing it another way (and offer examples).

> For example, recently somebody asked for general critique of his site. I
> thought that for what it was, it was nice. However, looking at the
> source code I noticed that he used frames to build he pages.

In my opinion, there's nothing wrong with frames if they are used properly.
No, I am not looking for a debate on frames vs noframes, NN vs IE etc..
There are many "I hate" clubs out there and everyone has opinions.  I hate
browsers that don't support CSS or that crash my computer.  I use the
monopoly's browser, even though I hate monopolies.  There is an alternative,
but I hate ads. These ads can be removed, but I hate paying for something
when I can get a similar tool free of charge.  I hate ranting, so I'll stop
it right there :-)

As with everything, some people (and organisations) misuse technology.  That
does not make the technology wrong.  I mean, javascript must be bad too,
since a lot of sites use it to generate annoying, persistent popup boxes
with advertising.  Purists would say that tables are also misused on almost
all sites - many people (including yours truly) use them for layout
purposes, which is not what they were intended for.  The list goes on....

To sum up...  If you have an alternative solution to a technical problem, to
achieve the SAME effect, by all means say so.  But if you are stating an
opinion, make that clear.

Regards
--
Bert Doorn, Web Developer