Re: hidden links

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Tue, 20 Mar 2001 10:27:58 -0800
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Molly:

If I read your question correctly, I think you are talking about JavaScript
here. The scripts you would be looking for would be called "Menu Trees" or
"Fold out Links". You end up with a navigation set up much like the
collapsible tree in Windows Explorer.

The catch here is that most of them work only in IE-4+ browsers. You would
still have to provide alternate links for the other obsolete browsers. Such
scripts do violate the KISS principle and for that reason, I have never used
them myself.

However ...

There are dozens of sites with links of this type. One such site is:
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/index.html

This is the main page for Navigational scripts. They have one called Smart
Folding Menu Tree Script at:
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/navigate1.htm

There is a sample of the working menu under the description. When you click
of the folder icon, the tree expands to show the second level, etc.

The main menu for all scripts is at this site is:
 www.dynamicdrive.com/

Look them over and I'm sure you will find one that fills your requirements.
But--As you will soon observe, such goodies are not for the faint of heart.
Also, they no doubt require at least a two digit IQ -- Another obvious
reason they are way beyond me ...

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA