Re: div <clairification please>

by "Darrell King" <darrell(at)webctr.com>

 Date:  Mon, 15 Oct 2001 14:15:42 -0400
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I think there are some problems using DIV with CSS for positioning, mostly
(but probably not entirely!) related to 4.x and older....?

Tables really were developed for data displays and not content layout...but,
we have to do what works.  Still, I know I'll be happy when I can do it all
with CSS...:).  I have to admin, though, I haven't really looked at this
closely in quite awhile...perhaps, with NN4 fading, we are getting to the
point where we can use DIVs instead of tables?

From: "Captain F.M. O'Lary" <ctfuzzy(at)canopy.net>

At 09:40 AM 10/15/01 , Holly wrote:
[ . . .]
>We're told we can't use tables in xhtml because tables are for laying
>out data, period.  (Isn't a website data?)

Holly, I can not find any reference stating this. Could you *pretty please*
point me to where the W3 says that?

Oh, and no. I *believe* that (in context) they refer to the content of a
"web site" in general terms as  _ content _ and numeric or statistical
content as _ data _.

>We have to use div, oh, except for where it doesn't work, which is most
>places/browsers for now.

Again, I guess I'm showing not acting my age, but I can't find a browser
that does not currently support DIV. This includes as far back as NN 2.X
and MSIE 2.X. Could you *pretty please* point me to one?