Re: CSS validation problems

by "Donna M Smillie" <dms(at)zetnet.co.uk>

 Date:  Sun, 16 Jan 2000 00:25:25 -0000
 To:  <ben(at)mudmail.co.uk>,
<hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Ben

There are a couple of good reasons to define a background colour if you've
defined a text colour, even if you've also defined a background image (and
yes, the background image will load "on top of" the background colour) -

1. If the text colour is light and the background image is dark, the text
will be unreadable until the background image loads since most people have
a light default background colour specified, whereas if you specify a dark
background colour (eg the predominant colour in the background image) it
will kick in immediately and let the user start reading the text on the
page, even if the background image takes a few seconds to load and display.

2. For similar reasons it will ensure that the page is readable by anyone
browsing with images switched off and who won't, therefore, see the
background image.

Regards,
Donna
--