Re: new domain names

by "Paul Wilson" <webgooru(at)gte.net>

 Date:  Thu, 29 Mar 2001 09:35:53 -0500
 To:  "Katherine Pollara" <kpollara(at)home.com>,
"Hwg-Basics(at)Hwg.Org" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> I want to get a domain and have been agonizing over this minutiae as if it
> was important, but some folks tell me I shouldn't.  What's the group
think?
> Kate Pollara

New domain names has been bothering me for some time.  I guess this is what
you get when there are more commercial interests involved, than ones with
common sense.  Besides the charade of having .com .net and .org being used
by folks that are not really in those groups, you have a very large group of
speculators out there camping out on likely commercial names.

Any search of a likely name for an ecommerce website lately will turn up a
reserved name where someone wants to charge you $10,000.00 for the rights to
the name.  I don't enjoy telling someone their $500.00 website just went to
$10,500.00 because their name is being used by an Internet pirate.  ICANN is
corrupt as far as I am concerned.  This practice is vile and we don't need
it at a time when everyone is looking at the Internet and wondering about
it's viability as a serious business platform for the future.

Paul Wilson
webgooru(at)gte.net