Re: Active Server Page Surprise

by "Bert Doorn" <bert(at)betterwebdesign.com.au>

 Date:  Fri, 23 Nov 2001 13:32:12 +0800
 To:  "Lauren Hanka" <bluejay(at)starband.net>
 Cc:  "HWG Basics" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Lauren

> Now, please tell me, since I don't have FTP access to original files at
this
> point, why is it that downloading the source page and saving it to obtain
> copy of the code won't work? I've never had any problem doing this in the
> past --the goofy thing just has an asp ending.

ASP files are parsed by the server.  (Active Server Pages)  The END RESULT
that you see in the browser is indeed plain HTML.  However, if you use that
file, you will lose any and all dynamic content generated by the ASP script.
If that is not a problem, and your client just wants a plain HTML file that
"never" changes, no problem.  If on the other hand the dynamic content is
required (for instance for database interactivity), you will have to get the
original ASP file (via FTP).

> By the way, there are no <%  ... %> tags. Just plain old HTML, like I
said.
> Do you think I have a chance fooling with their code?

There won't be <%   %> tags in the page you see in the browser, because the
server processes what's in there and outputs HTML.

I sometimes use ASP to display different content to different browsers,
without having to reply on javascript.  So if you took a copy of
www.bwdzine.net/beside/index.asp and saved it as index.html, what you get
will depend on which browser you used.  The same may apply here.

The bottom line: you can save the resulting page as a .htm or .html file.
But it will become a static file.  No dynamic content.

Hope this makes sense?
--
Bert Doorn, Web Developer
http://www.betterwebdesign.com.au/