Re: Pop-up window<Javascript?>

by "Bert" <bdoorn(at)iprimus.com.au>

 Date:  Tue, 26 Mar 2002 21:47:20 +0800
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
G'day

Fuzzy wrote:

> And how might I ask do the folks with no (or disabled) Javascript
> experience this?

They won't experience anything except a link that doesn't work.  I know
there's people who turn javascript off because a few have annoyed them or
because they think it's gonna wipe their hard-drive. They'd rather make life
harder for the designer.  But I digress....

IN this case, the shortcoming is very easy to overcome and I use the
technique below regularly.  Amend the script slightly, by putting a "return
false" just before the end of the function:

function Genie(theURL)
{
  var theWindow = window.open(theURL,"","width=300,height=200")
  return false;
}

Then write the link like this (delete the dots after the < )

<.a href="thepageurl.html" target="_blank" onclick="return
Genie('thepageurl.html');">Click Here<./a>

Javascript disabled (for whatever reason)?  You should get a default window.
Javascript enabled? You get the sized window.

HTH
--
Bert Doorn, Web Developer
CIW Associate, IWA Member