Re: How to Turn Down a Client

by "Edward & Charla Springer" <egs(at)hiwaay.net>

 Date:  Sun, 18 Jun 2000 15:57:09 -0500
 To:  <Keith(at)webgraffix.com>,
"Ben Ocean" <beno(at)cnw.com>
 Cc:  "Sandy Fields" <sandy(at)sannicron.com>, <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Keith,

I, also, most wholeheartedly agree with you as well. I have been in a
customer service business for close to 17 years. It is never a good idea to
discourge prospective clients by "stringing them along" until they get tired
of calling on you. It is disrepectful, unethical and poor business. First,
you never know when that small potatoes client who you blew off will become
a big fish you want to land (pardon the mixed metaphor). While it is OK to
turn them down because the account is too small, but be honest and tell them
so. Who knows, one day they may be big enough for your taste and they will
know you are a person of integrity. Second, you never know who they know.
Our company once had a small account that we treated very shabbily which
lead to their leaving us. Later, we lost the opportunity to land a large
account because the buyer knew the old account and told us he did not want
to do business with someone who treated clients so poorly. As several have
said, be honest and up front. In this case, tell the client that you
perceive that he needs help in getting focused and either offer to sign on
to do that as part of the package or find someone to colaborate with.
Business may be brutal, but it does not have to be nasty.

Edward Springer