Re: website protection

by "Paul Wilson" <webgooru(at)gte.net>

 Date:  Sat, 16 Dec 2000 14:01:26 -0500
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original

> Can ne one tell me if there is a way I can protect something on my site
> other than with watermarking??

A large dog maybe? There is no 100% sure way.  Watermarking does not work
well because a slight resizing of the image is enough to destroy the
watermark.. Gifs can have text added on at the end of the file with programs
like GIF animator, but they are also easily removed. You can put a small
copyright notice on the image, this is easily wiped out as well.

In the past three years images from our main website have been stolen every
3 to 6 months by new competitors and it usually requires a lot of growling
and threats to have the offending "borrowed" images removed.  One was even a
HWG member.  Go figure!    Almost every image on our website is drawn using
vector graphics software.

Paul Wilson
webgooru(at)gte.net