Re: OT - Graphics

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Wed, 1 Mar 2000 11:11:26 -0800
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
J. Michael Cates

Sandy is right about Paint Shop Pro. An excellent product. We use Canvas for
the added versatility but that is strictly a personal choice. Almost all
major programs have web sites with forums or discussion lists to assist you.

You mention your lack of artistic talent. I doubt it. I suspect modesty is
keeping you from your latent abilities. However--if you really do need help
with some of the very basic aspects of visual art, one of the simplest and
inexpensive ways to cover this is to get thee down to the local library or
bookstore and leaf through a few books on getting started with photography.

They usually devote the early chapters to the simple rules of art from color
selections to layout. Things like:

People and/or moving objects should always face into the picture.

Similarly, people and movement in pictures at the side of a page or screen
should face into the page, (or screen)

A diagonal composition is more forceful than vertical or horizontal.

A landscape should show more sky than foreground.

If this is the sort of information you are looking for, most of these books
are full of it and so are the dozens of photo magazines. And what's more the
suggestions they make are often far more objective than those of so
called -- "artists".

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA