Re: H e l p with NT Script

by "Olav Lavell" <olavell(at)xs4all.nl>

 Date:  Mon, 24 Jul 2000 18:11:01 +0200
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Mike Lessar wrote:

> However I have a potential client interested in my script but, he's
> interested in it for a NT Machine, I do not know if it will work on a NT
> Machine, how do I find out, also what is different in writing for NT vs.
> Linux?
>
> Is there anybody who can help me test this on a NT Machine or can point
me
> in the direction of a solution for my problem.

Mike, you have already let me know that your script is indeed Perl/CGI. Do
you or your client have free access to the NT machine that this script
will run on? If so, perhaps you can use the following idea of a plan:

1. Download "ActivePerl" from
<http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/> and install it on a
development NT/Win32 box. If you don't have one handy, it's about time you
take care of that as well, since you are going to have to do some
rewriting/testing of your code and you will also, perhaps, have to support
and maintain your script *after* the deal with your client has been made
(I would say for an hourly fee, but that's beyond this list).

2. Read the documentation for ActivePerl on
<http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/docs/index.html>. In the
tree on the left frame of this site, look under the headings "ActivePerl
FAQ" and "Windows Specifics". Click on "Quirks". You will see that they
have an article specifiaclly about making a Unix based script work on
Windows. There are a couple of helpful hints there. Don't forget to check
out the other articles, too.

3. Alternatively, let someone else do it! This is not a joke. Also, I
would not dare saying that you don't know about installing a Windows PC
etc., but *if* this is the case you can save time and money by finding a
partner who is more proficient in this area.

Like I said before, Perl scripts that are based on Linux *can* be made to
work in the Win32 environment. You are better off if your script does not
depend too much on OS specific functionality, or any utilities and tools
that you had available on your Linux machine (that you would have to find
equivalents for in Windows). But a script that does handling of text
files, creating output based upon user input and a couple of variables,
may not at all need be altered much to work exactly like intended.

Hope this helps you, let me know if I can help you further,

Cordially,

Olav Lavell
<mailto:olavell(at)xs4all.nl>