Browser Wars are over and Netscape lost

by "Paul Wilson" <webgooru(at)gte.net>

 Date:  Thu, 18 Jan 2001 09:38:23 -0500
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
> d/l and install Netscape 6.  Installed fine, then in the directions on the
> web site, it said you could remove your old version, which I did, thru the
> Add/Remove...........guess what??  No more function to access anything web
> based, No I.E., Netscape, AOL, nor ICQ after the removal......it must have

I keep seeing messages here about people trying to support Netscape 6.  Why
bother?  Besides being vaporware for over two years now, it's a piece of
junk. Two years on the internet is like 20 years in other industries.  Their
piece of the browser market is less than 10% and steadily falling.   I hated
to see the good guy loose the browser war, but it was all over when AOL
bought Netscape.  Loyalty is fine, but it can be misplaced.

Netscape also messed us over when they tried pushing their proprietary
layers scheme over x-y positioning and they also neglected CSS pretty bad in
4.x versions.  This has held us up from some really cool stuff for two years
now.  I mean, CSS was a no-brainer even three years ago.  They tried out
Microsoft-ing Microsoft and blew it badly.

As far as their lawsuit against Microsoft, when Netscape sold out to AOL
they handed Microsoft a win on a silver platter.  MS was able to say - "see
they are still a viable company, we didn't hurt them."   Dumb, dumb, dumb.
The Internet does not forgive the really dumb!

Paul Wilson
webgooru(at)gte.net