Re: Is this off topic?

by "BigGrizzly" <grizzlygraphics(at)mindspring.com>

 Date:  Thu, 8 Feb 2001 18:38:01 -0500
 To:  "Richard and Jolene Johnson" <jonric(at)tx3.net>,
<hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I am a Technical Instructor for a Government Contractor.  I am 40 yrs old
and been employed by this company for over 17 years.  I have a BS in
Technical Education and typically deliver traditional standup training to
our workforce of about 15k employees.  But in the past several years I have
had to evolve.  Always being a computer geek it was pretty easy for me to
get involved with the web-based training needs of the company.  Additionally
we place some of our materials out there on the company intranet.  I do
about an equal amount of free and side jobs for friends and organizations
outside of work.  I have taken my share of company computer classes :-( and
also Macromedia licensed courses as well.  I do a lot of outside learning on
my own as do most people on this forum.

I get paid the same (under the current market) if I develop intranet sites
and WBT/CBT or if I just do ordinary teaching implementation.  For the most
part, my co-workers have no clue about web-site development, CBT/WBT.  they
think it is some kind of weird thing that I do, to suck-up to management!

So in a nut-shell -  in my job the computer stuff is just a little more job
security because not too many people have the same skills.

Don